Monday, November 9, 2009

Tis The Season!

I've been slacking off on my blog for a while, but I kind of expected this. I take on too many projects at once, and then I never get to finish any of them for an extremely long time. We're still working on remodeling the house (I really need to post pictures of the progress), plus I've been working on three writing projects (!) aside from this blog. I'm mad at myself for never finishing the posts about our hiking trip (what a story that is!), but there is just so much to do!

I just took a break right now to have a late breakfast and thought I'd do some investigation into an interesting project. A friend was over last night lamenting the fact that they couldn't find 100% hemp card stock for an environmentally-friendly project they are undertaking. Being the unfortunate web junky that I am, I immediately jumped online and started to search. While looking at various organic paper sites, I found some wonderful cards which can be planted to grow wildflowers. There are seeds embedded in the paper and you just need to wet it, plant it, and let it grow! I thought this was a wonderful idea, and immediately thought of ways I could make it myself and have it be more personalized. Since things are even tighter than they were last year, the holiday season has been looking pretty bleak but this was an idea, I thought, I could definitely use. I'd do little herb garden gift sets, beautiful poppy seed stationary, vegetable garden gift tags... whatever my heart desired! This would be especially great since I have many packets of seeds laying around that I never got to start for our garden this summer. I have found several websites this morning of others who have tried this (and they all had similar ideas on what to do with them), so I'm going to attempt a few and see what works best. When I get some time, that is.

I also found some cool articles on how to re-use old clothing that you might not be able to donate (stains, rips, etc.). My boyfriend and I were already talking about re-purposing a lot of stuff to decorate the house and possibly to give as gifts, so this will all be great! I used to do some things like that (making purses out of old shirts), but there are even more ideas that I've stumbled upon. We are really into finding green alternatives to things, or just alternatives to things in general (our IT business is definitely an indicator of that) so this should work out pretty well. Now I just need to figure out which of these empty rooms can have an area for my crafts!

I am going to make a promise to myself that I will definitely post an article/pictures of our remodeling project. It was supposed to be a whole website but we have so many other sites we're working on right now I never can find the time. I hope it will be soon, because things are really coming along!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll delete anything bot-like or offensive. Keep it clean, family may read this. Yadda yadda yadda. I do this blog for myself, but feel free to let me know anything you're dying to say! (If you're one of those people that just says things like "this is dumb," or "you suck": You're the one who just found some random persona's blog, read it, hated it, and took the time to tell everyone you hated it. Who sucks now? ^_^)