Friday, October 23, 2009

It Isn't a Spoiler If It Aired Already!

Last year I heard about a new show that was going to combine singing, dancing, comedy, and drama all in an interesting little package and would be broadcast on FOX. While it sounded absolutely amazing, I was afraid to watch it because everything I like that is quirky (like "Pushing Daisies" or "Eli Stone") gets canceled when it starts getting good. However, one day when I was off from work and my boyfriend was out and about, I decided to sit down and watch something on hulu and what was immediately presented to me was the premiere episode of "Glee." I figured I'd give it a go, just in case it was that good and actually caught on. Luckily, it was.

Cut to yesterday: My boyfriend (surprisingly) and I have been hooked on it ever since. I haven't missed an episode, and he's only missed "Acafellas" (which I still need to have him see). After he got home from work and all of his volunteer training, we cuddled up on the couch, pulled out my laptop, and started watching the latest episode, "Mash-Up." I didn't tell him I already watched it earlier in the day, as I just could not wait to see what was going to happen after I saw some of the previews, but it didn't matter. There were those few awkward moments I knew he'd have watching the cheesier portions ("The Thong Song" section was both hilarious and disturbing), but otherwise he thought it was a solid episode but just bounced around everywhere. This seemed to be the complaint most people had about it: Everything just seemed to come out of nowhere and was just happening, one right after another. Rachel and Puck are together! Now they're not together! Sue is happy! Sue is evil! Slushies everywhere! Etc etc. One thing that stood out for people seemed to be Sue's kitten joke, which you think the punchline will be that she will either kill or take the hypothetical kitten away from Will but instead she simply says she will punch him in the face. Where did that part come from? People argue oh that is part of the joke, because you think she'll hurt the kitten (just like mostly everyone, myself included, assumed the newscaster asking her about swinging didn't mean the dancing kind). Upon the second viewing of this with him, experiencing the episode both again through myself and for the first time through him, I realized that the jumps and compressed plotlines made sense. While there were no actual song mash-ups in the episode (another complaint I've seen viewers have), the entire episode was a mash-up! Plotlines that might not necessarily go together just got pressed into one, strange unending miss-mash of occurrences. Ryan Murphy - You're a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll delete anything bot-like or offensive. Keep it clean, family may read this. Yadda yadda yadda. I do this blog for myself, but feel free to let me know anything you're dying to say! (If you're one of those people that just says things like "this is dumb," or "you suck": You're the one who just found some random persona's blog, read it, hated it, and took the time to tell everyone you hated it. Who sucks now? ^_^)